1. BREAKING THE FIRST SEAL – Vs. 1-2
1. In this chapter, John is in heaven looking down on the earth.
2. opening or breaking the seals on the book (title deed) represents Jesus taking the seven steps necessary to dispossess the devil and his people from the earth and take it over for Himself and His people.
3. This is the beginning of the Great Tribulation.
4. There are four horses but the same rider on all. The rider is not Jesus Christ but the beast. the man of sin.
5. “White Horse” – peace. Went forth “conquering.” This means that the beast will BEGIN his world conquest by peaceful means.
2. BREAKING THE SECOND SEAL – (Vs. 3-4)
1. Note “Red Horse”…”Take peace from the earth” “Great sword”, this means the beast will conquer all he can by peaceful means (diplomacy) and then he will resort to war to conquer till all who dwell on the earth will come under his rule and power. (“A horse of different color).
3. BREAKING THE THIRD SEAL – (Vs. 5-6)
1. “Black Horse” means dark days, famine, etc.
2. “A measure” is about a pint and a half; “A penny” a days pay- Matthew 20:2. This means a whole days pay for a pint and a half of grain. We have never yet had a depression like this.
4. BREAKING THE FOURTH SEAL – (Vs. 7-8)
1. “A Pale Horse, ” this means sickness, disease, misery and death.
2. One fourth of earths population will die by sword, hunger, disease, famine, and beast of the earth. This is, we believe, the sword of V-4 and famine of V-6, and the sickness and disease of V-8, all combined to destroy one fourth of the earth’s population.
5. BREAKING THE FIFTH SEAL – (Vs. 9-11)
1. “Under the altar” is God’s reception room for the martyred saints.
2. These are the saints that are killed in the Great Tribulation.
3. They were told to wait patiently until others should die as they had died.
6. BREAKING THE SIXTH SEAL – (Vs. 12-17)
1. These events precede only a short period of time the second coming of Christ to take possession of the earth and set up His kingdom. They demonstrate the wrath of God against the inhabitants of the earth.
2. If men happen to be on the moon they will be ready to leave when these things begin to happen. V-12.
3. The beast and his followers will fear- be afraid of Christ.
4. They will recognize this is the wrath of God.
5. A thousand times better to die for Christ now than to live on to see this awful day of God’s wrath.
6. This also shows the great length to which God is willing to reach to restore the earth and the race that we lost in Adam.